ticks

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

ticks

Post by 5siamese7 »

About a week ago I went into the communal orchard at Ardeer quarry to spend a penny I felt something bite me on the stomach. Today I had the dubious pleasure of having a tick removed. It had burrowed in and had been feasting on my blood all week. The little devil was still alive but the nurse flattened it. She told me they get women who have gone to spend a penny and get a tick in the rump. They come in not knowing what is causing the discomfort. It can be dangerous and I've been told to get help immediately if I start to feel unwell. I had the flu jag today and sometimes that can make you feel unwell for a few days. High drama me hearties.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: ticks

Post by John Donnelly »

Siamese, hi.
If you have a red circle round the bite mark, get yourself to the doctor immediately. That means Lyme's disease, which can kill you.
My wife had it several years ago in Belgium and it ruined our holiday.
She was given a very strong course of antibiotics. Fortunately she was OK.
JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Good advice JD but I was over at the Accident and Emergency where the nurse twisted it out. She is happy to leave things alone as the gestation time for Lyme' s disease is about 4 weeks. If I start to feel unwell I've to seek help immediately. I bet my immune system is wondering what the hell is going on as I had the flu jag today. Incidentally the nurse said that the flu jag this year is a bad one for side effects in particular a sore arm. Cripes.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Many people are suffering from anxiety this winter regarding the flu epidemic which has travelled from Australia. The antibiotic crisis which some noises are saying will soon kill millions and now we have lymes disease. Give us a wave if still alive next year ... :roll:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 pm Good advice JD but I was over at the Accident and Emergency where the nurse twisted it out. She is happy to leave things alone as the gestation time for Lyme' s disease is about 4 weeks. If I start to feel unwell I've to seek help immediately. I bet my immune system is wondering what the hell is going on as I had the flu jag today. Incidentally the nurse said that the flu jag this year is a bad one for side effects in particular a sore arm. Cripes.
Siamese, hi.
The good news (??????) is that the red ring appears almost immediately. Ria had it within hours.
JD.
PS; the lat thing you want to do is pull a tick out. This makes it regurgitate the blood it has drunk back into your system. If the tick is infected, then so are you.
We always have the special tick pincette with us on holiday. The Belgian Ardenne is a well known black spot for them; as Ria and I can attest.
JD.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

A few years back we were on a friends plot and they had a few dogs who were continually running in and out of the long grass. That night at home I noticed a wee black mark on my calf, swiped it with my hand but never came off, husband looked at it and a tick was diagnosed. All hell broke out, the thought of some animal' çlinging to me turned me into a maniac. I got a calming slap on the shoulder and it was removed very quickly. Not my finest moment, especially with the kids looking on LOL
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Gosh Anne I didn't know you were so squeamish. This tick had been living on my gut for a week and obviously was doing very well on it as it looked gey healthy. The nurse offered it to me to take home but I declined. Maybe a mistake because I can think of some other recipients.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

We used to just apply a heated match to the ticks bottom..out it'd pop.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes Morag farmers and shepherds would hold a fag at the tick's bottom and this had the desired effect. Anyway the hospital gave me some wee special tools for future use that twist a tick out.