Independence

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Independence

Post by 5siamese7 »

Strange reply lacking in logic and I suspect a lack of anything that's useful. Those people at Westminster control the purse strings. By the way I see the price of oil has gone up.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Cameron sold off fracking licenses in Scotland prior to September 2014, not withstanding that both the Green parties (Scottish Greens and the other Greens )are a against it, as are RISE and the SNP ,to be profitable Fracking need to be at least $85 per barrel , as stated he sold off the licenses in Scotland , 2 things need to happen Westminster needs to have the oil price higher than 85 dollars, and they need control of the planning application so can anyone see where that's going?
In an ideal world for the frackers oil needs to be at over 100 per barrel , but at 100 dollars oil has a direct input on rising living costs
The UK is only in existence to produce money for the Tories and to support Labour's bankers, it is a cash cow for Foreign governments to earn income,
Could the UK government not have formed EDF like the French government did?
Why are the Dutch running the trains?
Technically that's correct to a point,but you get my drift
It's all not helped by trading in Dollars and Euros,(as fracking and the railway are**) when the Pound is lower than a Rattlesnake's belly......

** I'm not going round ever industry's financial set-up you'll be happy to know,that said both these industries are foreign owned so the profit leaves the UK
Elsie Treize
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Elsie Treize »

Whenever the topic of Quebec independence comes up, (which it often does) there are generally some in the ROC (Rest Of Canada)who say that this is enough, too much, why doesn't Quebec just leave already? So I'm wondering is there an expression like ROB = Rest Of Britain, and do some want Scotland to just leave. The ROC with this sort of view seem to forget that whenever there's a poll or referendum, the results are around 50 - 50%.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

ROB = Rest Of Britain,
It's more often denoted as rUK,
Whenever the topic of Quebec independence comes up,
Quebec Independence is an odd one and to be honest I don't know how it all kicked off , but in the 60s to 1970 there were bombings and robberies in the cause of Independence and smack in the middle of it, in 1967 De Gaulle got up in Montreal and thinking it would go down well in Paris and with French speaking Canadians said "Vive Montréal; Vive le Québec! Vive le Québec libre!" emphasising libre (De Gaulle in my opinion he was both a charlatan and a very dangerous man, he sat out the war in the UK and was against the UK joining the Common Market)
He went to Montreal to cause trouble but caused it where he didn't want it, he stirred up Canadians against him and promoted France to cheer him on .......The discussion carried on through the 70s resulting in the 1980 referendum with a split 40% Yes and 60% No( approx as I can't remember the exact figures ) so it went onto the back burner again but Canada's economy was getting more prosperous ,Leading to the 1995 referendum and while the Yes vote increased to about 49% No vote Dropped to about 50%.
But talks between the sides were a lot more civilised.
Given the country has a high standard of living and quality of life , it's high production of energy sources and the resultant lower costs, topped off with abundant natural resources.
It might be that Quebec Nationalism might not be a high priority, after all austerity is out of the equation