Viking Festival

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Viking Festival

Post by Vivc113 »

The annual Largs Viking Festival gets underway today. Until 10 September 2017.

Always held on Largs Prom. A chance to visit a Viking Village, as well as visit all the usual stalls.

Threepwood of Beith will hopefully be there, who make all the delicious dumplings.

I may try to get to this depending on weather.

www.largsvikingfestival.org
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Viking Festival

Post by 5siamese7 »

Visited to-day and it is very interesting with nice chatty Vikings. Great too if you have a sweet tooth and liked your grog. The ground had been badly affected by rain and loads of straw was put down which worked well. Well worth a visit.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I visited yesterday too. Did not see you. I was there around 1 pm.

I got a clootie dumpling which was fab. More for this evening.

I also got an Irn Bru macaroon bar. Got the birds on some of this today. Big fight broke out.

I am always sorry they never seem to get the weather for this event. Threepwood Beith who organise the stalls must despair each year.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Took the train from south beach and arrived at my ancestors' village about two so I just missed you. I thought it was great and do you know the people are sleeping in those wee tents but they do have ground sheets which is just as well considering the lousy weather. It would have been nice to see some ale on sale but no. Incidentally I have Dupuytren's disease and my dad had it too. Its called the Viking disease because only people from that extraction get it. Kind of nice to know your pedigree but I could do without the bad stuff.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

They are sleeping in the tents ??? Surely not.

German beer was further up but nobody sat outside.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes unless he was taking the mick. Actually his enthusiastic daughter confirmed this and they all looked a wee bit rough which you do if your sleeping in a tent. There were portaloos there for them and not for public use, so I guess it was true. I spoke to the guy who was selling hamburgers and he moved like lightening to sell me one but I declined saying they were too big and in any case I didn't eat lunch. However I didn't see any beer some of which would have been nice.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Tomorrow is about the only decent day they are going to get. Sunday is set to bucket again.

Did you not buy anything??
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

No Viv I purchased nothing. I did think about buying some kind of pendant but decided against. I saw the clootie dumplings and was tempted but its not healthy . To-day I bought dark chocolate ginger biscuits and my usual treat choc with hazlenuts. I'm so inconsistent. Maybe i'll go down to-morrow and buy a dumpling. This weather is the worst ever for their festival and its such a shame.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I didn't know that irn bru macaroon bars and clootie dumplings were of Viking origin....
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:07 am They are sleeping in the tents ??? Surely not.

German beer was further up but nobody sat outside.
Probably all pissed.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:35 pm I didn't know that irn bru macaroon bars and clootie dumplings were of Viking origin....
:lol: Funny !! Yes. It's not just a Viking Village area, but also for Ayrshire Cos to wait on mugs like me showing up (!!)