eglinton castle

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

eglinton castle

Post by 5siamese7 »

In the seventies it was proposed to open the remaining tower to the public. However after second thoughts the idea was shelved as the stairway which is narrow and built for defence was too dangerous. One day I was fishing in the Lugton and got fed up and decided to look at the castle ruin and found that someone had forgotten to lock the iron gate on the tower. So I went up the tower and had a wonderful view around the area. While up there I thought I hope no one locks the gate which didn't happen andit was worth the risk, what a view. To-day its still locked so had some luck that day but not with the fish.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: eglinton castle

Post by Vivc113 »

Tsk tsk !!! You are brave. Could not have done this !!

This is another thing which is round at Kilwinning abbey : a model of Eglinton castle as it once was with all the buildings.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:55 am Tsk tsk !!! You are brave. Could not have done this !!

This is another thing which is round at Kilwinning abbey : a model of Eglinton castle as it once was with all the buildings.
I'm sure I could take you to higher places than that. I once led a party up Ben Nevis before the tourist path was improved. Weather wise it was bad but they trusted me. I kept telling them to keep the cairns on your right. We all came home safely.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Gah. I think the roof of the abbey will do me for heights. It is enclosed so you cannot really see (for the main part) just how far you could fall.

Even when we got to the roof I would not even approach the walls (just in case). Before I climbed up I even checked with staff about the likelihood of falling over walls.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".