Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 am Don't adopt. If he does not get enough 🍞 he will bite you on the backside.

This morn my pigeons are tucking into a maple syrup pancake.
I think you might be thinking of a goose. Those pigeons will soon be cooing with an American accent.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 am Don't adopt. If he does not get enough 🍞 he will bite you on the backside.

This morn my pigeons are tucking into a maple syrup pancake.
Because you live next to a wooded area I'm surprised you don't have great tits coming for your bird feed.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

'Red' came back yesterday after a 5 or 6 week absence. Where do regular birds go, I wonder.

Bill, would you know where he would have been for over a month (he hasn't lost any weight and looked bright and alert, as always). :?
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Pigeon are gregarious and flock and feed to-gether. There will still be loads of food in the fields and although combine harvesters are very efficient some grain is left. If red had any sense he would hang about Dockhead street where there is loads of food. However if he or she likes Stevenston they will roost either on the Bargain booze building or Potters .When the weather gets colder and food becomes scarce you will probably see more of red.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv your certainly an early riser. Not even light till seven prior to which you might heat the dawn chorus. Today I saw a jenny wren in the garden for such a small bird they have a very loud note. Regarding the pigeon red maybe you have noticed there are very few red feral pigeons . The falcons and hawks like to take them out. Also being a recessive colour unless they mate with a bird that has the recessive red gene the red colour disappears.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm Viv your certainly an early riser. Not even light till seven prior to which you might heat the dawn chorus. Today I saw a jenny wren in the garden for such a small bird they have a very loud note. Regarding the pigeon red maybe you have noticed there are very few red feral pigeons . The falcons and hawks like to take them out. Also being a recessive colour unless they mate with a bird that has the recessive red gene the red colour disappears.
Always wake up early (mostly anyway).

I think some birds are in the High Kirk Halls too. I heard coo-ing on the way past.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was walking home from the library this evening and 7 or 8 V's of big noisy geese flew overhead. Maybe Canada geese? Not sure, must have been well over 100 of them.
Last edited by bonzo on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Viv-Glad to read Red came home sound . Have you an update on the welfare of Blackie please.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

brian f wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm Viv-Glad to read Red came home sound . Have you an update on the welfare of Blackie please.
Blackie never came back. Not since April. Snowy never came back either. :-(

Some evil cat must have hunted them down.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

We haven't seen a starling nor a sparrow for years. I mean that literally, not a single one.
Yesterday, a flock of starlings - it must have been about 100 - descended on our back garden.
They decimated the berries on our rowan tree (stolen from a hillside somewhere in Argyle some years ago) and the neighbour's hawthorn in less than half an hour.
We think they were flying south, probably from Scandinavia to winter somewhere warm.
JD.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

JD are you sure they weren't waxwings?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »