Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by Vivc113 »

brian f wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 pm I seen this wee skinny robin in my back garden a few months ago, think it was july it was not showing off like some robins do .I hope it comes back with a better figure in December.
It might if you leave some food out for it. :lol:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

brian f wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 pm I seen this wee skinny robin in my back garden a few months ago, think it was july it was not showing off like some robins do .I hope it comes back with a better figure in December.
Probably a young bird not long out the nest. Robins are nasty wee birds, very territorial and will kill another robin who comes into their territory by breaking their neck with their beak.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The cygnets at the Ardeer quarry are really smashing . No ugly ducklings here. They look so fine and healthy the best yet. Must be the white bread that's doing it for them. The ones at the golf course walked back to the White Wife and are also utilising flooded parts of the course enjoying muck with the grass which will help grind things down.
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

5siamese7 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:03 pm The cygnets at the Ardeer quarry are really smashing . No ugly ducklings here. They look so fine and healthy the best yet. Must be the white bread that's doing it for them. The ones at the golf course walked back to the White Wife and are also utilising flooded parts of the course enjoying muck with the grass which will help grind things down.
:?
They tell us here in Canada not to feed bread to birds, that its bad for them ,is the bread different there?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

elvis1913 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 pm
5siamese7 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:03 pm The cygnets at the Ardeer quarry are really smashing . No ugly ducklings here. They look so fine and healthy the best yet. Must be the white bread that's doing it for them. The ones at the golf course walked back to the White Wife and are also utilising flooded parts of the course enjoying muck with the grass which will help grind things down.
:?
They tell us here in Canada not to feed bread to birds, that its bad for them ,is the bread different there?
I've posted same here Jo. Buy birdseed.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I always thought that it was mould on bread that was bad for birds not the bread its self.
Those wimin were in the nip.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

while any nutrition is better than none...and yes, I do eat, rarely, white bread, I prefer heartier, wheaty seedy breads.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Mine have snacked on bread for years and all have bright eyes.

My pigeons are tucking into a bit of tattie scone just now.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes we're told not to feed white bread because its bad for them. Well their doing well on it. I note that they love wholemeal unlike lots of folk who prefer white.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I found this quite interesting. Granted it's an Australian article, but a Swan's a Swan and a Duck's a Duck I suppose.
http://wildbirdrescues.com.au/feeding-n ... and-ducks/
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes an interesting article and do you know one brood of cygnets at the Ardeer quarry had the angel wings. The general opinion at the time was that it was genetic and there was talk about splitting up the pair. However the cob was killed by a nutcase with a spade because it had gone for his dog. Regarding the birds growing too fast for their legs to support them that can happen. Personally I think that wildfowl only need support during cold weather. I only give them wholemeal bread but I think i'll stop until the weather gets colder. Good research there Michaelm.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Ran oot o bread again, so it will be some McCains chips for the birds tomorrow (!!)