Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by John Donnelly »

bonzo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am I saw a useful wee tip on TV. If you coat nuts and alike in chilli the birds will still eat them as they have no sense of taste but the squirrels will not go near them.
Hi Bonzo
This raises the question, 'what does chilli do to birds' stomachs?'
We were in Luxembourg the last couple of weeks and the camping was hoaching with red squirrels. It was great to see them and not the invader grey ones.
JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I don't know JD but I know what it does to mine :lol:. I take it as it was a nature program it wouldn't tell you something that would cause harm.
There are still plenty of reds on Arran, it's good to see them.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

bonzo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am I saw a useful wee tip on TV. If you coat nuts and alike in chilli the birds will still eat them as they have no sense of taste but the squirrels will not go near them.
Birds do have a sense of taste but it varies with the species. Their sense of taste may not be as acute as humans. However they love sweet and salty foods. When my dad grew onions from setts our pigeons had to be kept locked up until they were too hot for them. I guess those chillies weren't very hot.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying what Kate Humble told me :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Our budgies wont eat apples or fruit but they LOVE salad.🐥🐦
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

bonzo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying what Kate Humble told me :lol:
No offence intended Bonzo but I've always thought birds had a sense of taste especially as they have a tongue but anyway as you know i'm not infallible so I googled it and yes I am right they do have a sense of taste and some birds have more taste buds than others. Crows, buzzards and pigeons have good taste receptors compared with other birds. Put out a block of salt and watch them peck at it. And my friend Viv's birds have a sweet tooth hence they love her rice crispies.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

None taken. I had a wee Google tae it seems birds do have taste but don't have taste receptors for capsicum (which gives chillies their heat)and squirrels being mammals do. Every day is a school day right enough :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Strange, maybe because the capsicums that we buy have been altered and not in their original natural state.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

//heart Viv -Has Red and Blackie become friends ..
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

No. Red had another partner for a while. They canoodled on the window cill. The relationship seems to have ceased now. //funny
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yesterday I went down to the White Wife to feed the ducks. Apart for one who kept her distance not a duck to be seen. A coot made its way over and had some bread. Then eight mallards that had been hiding in the water plants came swimming out. I gave them a cheery come on and on they came. The shooting season for wildfowl began on the first of September and I guess they had a bad experience in one of their nocturnal visits.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I seen this wee skinny robin in my back garden a few months ago, think it was july it was not showing off like some robins do .I hope it comes back with a better figure in December.