Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by bonzo »

Leaving a struggling bird in the street is not good. :evil:

You've obviously seen my wife drunk //funny
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

brian f wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm Make to much mess pooping on the patio, washing and the garden furniture bill . Nothing sinister like ...

Viv-you should know good guys do go to heaven //funny
Pigeons can make a mess of buildings but clothes no, they don't poo in flight. Its where they roost that will be a problem. The worst offenders are gulls that will whitewash clothes and people anywhere.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The wild mallards at the White Wife know and trust me. They come running up to me with smiling eyes knowing they will get some fresh wholemeal bread.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

good one bonzo //funny

Viv and Morag, I would feel very uncomfortable picking this pigeon up and that would probably have meant this bird would have been severely stressed if it was not already. Sometimes you have to let nature take it's course.

I visit the vet's every month with Alfie (dog) for a prescription for his epilepsy and the phone is always ringing about wildlife in distress, sadly this vet's and more in the surrounding area will have no wildlife on it's premises and suggest you contact another organisation further away from home.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Not good enough. You could have either put the bird out of its misery or ascertained that it could be helped to recovery and got help.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

So how do you put a bird out it's misery . Counterproductive.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

The bird people. Number previously posted.

The bird society would have come along and got the creature help. A cardboard box and food n water left until they arrived. Dad used to do it if they could not fly, for example.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

brian f wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:08 pm good one bonzo //funny

Viv and Morag, I would feel very uncomfortable picking this pigeon up and that would probably have meant this bird would have been severely stressed if it was not already. Sometimes you have to let nature take it's course.
I had a hanging bird feeder an a pigeon, or dove got it's foot entangled and was just hanging there, so went out talking quietly to it, untangled it's foot and away it flew, don't know who's heart was beating faster! In your case Brian, would have covered it with a towel, jumper or something and picked it up and put it in a safe place. I also rescue insects, exhausted bees, sugar water cure, catch and release beasties in the hoose, not ants though...impossible! :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

brian f wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 pm So how do you put a bird out it's misery . Counterproductive.
You wring its neck which causes instant death. However this would be the last resort. I once handed a gannet into the police who were very good about it. Another time I was in the Saltcoats police station dealing with some legal business when this guy comes In and tells the duty officer that he has found an injured bird in the street. The officer told him to bring it in. The guy appears with a herring gull under his arm and policeman almost freaks out. He went through the back and came out with a cardboard box and as the bird was taller than the box he was having difficulty closing it. Eventually he managed it, declaring ,"get in there ya bugger ye." No doubt that was the way he spoke to some of the prisoners as he put them in a cell.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

You are as bad as me. I had to rescue some small beast from the sink this morning. Dunno what is was. It was trying to climb up away from the water.

I got some tissue under it and got it out the door.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Viv be very careful what you do around sinks. The Chinese believe that a spirit lives in the u bend of a sink and to pour boiling water down there will bring you bad luck. Anyway this year there are loads of swallows on the wing and therefore it looks like they will have a good hatch. They did very well last year especially down at Broom farm. Magnificent birds and a delight to watch taking insects on the wing.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Decent topic this, but should it not be in McBlether's or somewhere ?