Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by 5siamese7 »

The gulls at Saltcoats harbour love chips. Years ago I sat with my son another chip lover and we were being pestered with herring gull. In frustration i threw an extremely hot chip which a gull caught in mid air, not batting an eyelid it was on the hunt for more. Last time I was down there I saw a sign do not feed the gulls. They are gangsters and have even been known to peck people on the head causing bleeding. There was a cull in the 1960's to try and preserve the tern colony on Horse island but folk weren't happy with hundreds of dead gulls littering the tideline from Stevenston to Ardrossan. Gulls eggs make good eating and during the war they were collected from Horse island and sent to the local hospitals. An opportunity was lost then but now as I understand it gulls are in decline. McCain chips at Viv's house, once word gets around who knows what birds will turn up.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:27 am Yes an interesting article and do you know one brood of cygnets at the Ardeer quarry had the angel wings. The general opinion at the time was that it was genetic and there was talk about splitting up the pair. However the cob was killed by a nutcase with a spade because it had gone for his dog. Regarding the birds growing too fast for their legs to support them that can happen. Personally I think that wildfowl only need support during cold weather. I only give them wholemeal bread but I think i'll stop until the weather gets colder. Good research there Michaelm.
It didn't take much research at all, just a few simple clicks of my mouse. You should try it sometime yourself before opening that big mooth of yours. :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I laughed et that, sorry //funny
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

michaelm wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:07 pm
5siamese7 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:27 am Yes an interesting article and do you know one brood of cygnets at the Ardeer quarry had the angel wings. The general opinion at the time was that it was genetic and there was talk about splitting up the pair. However the cob was killed by a nutcase with a spade because it had gone for his dog. Regarding the birds growing too fast for their legs to support them that can happen. Personally I think that wildfowl only need support during cold weather. I only give them wholemeal bread but I think i'll stop until the weather gets colder. Good research there Michaelm.
It didn't take much research at all, just a few simple clicks of my mouse. You should try it sometime yourself before opening that big mooth of yours. :lol:
Well done what a happy chap you are.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Glad you seen the funny side there Billy. :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Gulls are in decline, Bill?? Doubt it. Loads of them in Stevenston.

Opened the door a wee bit late this morning - found a wee row of birds all waiting on me, including the wee disabled one "Angel". It hurt its foot sometime back, but manages to get along by hopping on the other foot. I gave them some McCain chips, which they were tucking into and looking happy. :lol:

'Red' has been missing for around a week now, so starting to become concerned. :(
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

2 chaffinches in my garden this morning colourful wee birds.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am Gulls are in decline, Bill?? Doubt it. Loads of them in Stevenston.

Opened the door a wee bit late this morning - found a wee row of birds all waiting on me, including the wee disabled one "Angel". It hurt its foot sometime back, but manages to get along by hopping on the other foot. I gave them some McCain chips, which they were tucking into and looking happy. :lol:

'Red' has been missing for around a week now, so starting to become concerned. :(
Actually they are and are becoming more of a townie. The food the sea use to provide is drying up. One bird I am rather fond of which is not a gull is the sea pie which has adapted very well and they can be seen feeding in the fields. I bet they would taste nice with all the worms and grubs they eat .I'm glad they are protected One of the most delicious birds is the woodcock whose diet is entirely worms and they are on the shooting list. Use to get the first fall of cock in October and they are highly prized for the table. They are rather special with their huge brown eyes and can jink in and out of trees.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day I saw a bird that use to be very common in the skies over the three towns. A kestrel was hovering over the grassland where the Shell Mex was. A very useful bird in keeping down mice and voles but sadly in decline.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

There is a regular one in flight near the back road to Kilwinning and surrounding areas.

Even had its beady eye on me. I was scared. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

That sounds more like a common buzzard. With respect no one could be scared of a kestrel.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Walking through riverside retail Park evey morning the mess the gulls leave by raiding the bins is unbelievable. They truely are a menace.