Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by 5siamese7 »

I was attacked by a very large cygnet at the White Wife to-day. It flew at me hissing and pecking fortunately I was able to outrun it. Actually it was a very lucky bird because I was about to clout it with my brolley. Getting out of hand looking for bread.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

5siamese7 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:09 pm I was attacked by a very large cygnet at the White Wife to-day. It flew at me hissing and pecking fortunately I was able to outrun it.
Aye right Bill. Keep on running ...........
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

//funny

I thought they were all your best pals.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

//funny

I thought they were all your best pals.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

They are a weird bunch they don't stay together as a brood but are feeding on the grass on their own. In legend it is said that a swan can break your arm with its wing. Even in the film "Ring of Bright Water" this is stated. I've never read of or heard of anyone having had their arm broken by a swan. Have you?
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Remember as a young girl in p1 taking bread and feeding swans in a river/pond above the school I attended in Milngavie. All the classes in primary visited the pond.
A few years later it was reported in the paper that the swans in the pond turned vicious and was attacking everyone that came near. Now I can't say that anyone got a broken arm out of it but as beautiful as swans are I'd be very wary of them too.
Glad you were able to run to safety Siamese7.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

That bird is living on borrowed time. It is now walking about on the main road where the coot was killed. It had another go at me today and I ran as it chased me. I think it associates my carrier bag with bread. Its orange and that is the same type of bag I carried when I was feeding them bread.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 am In legend it is said that a swan can break your arm with its wing. Even in the film "Ring of Bright Water" this is stated. I've never read of or heard of anyone having had their arm broken by a swan. Have you?
That's what my school pals and I also heard as youngsters at St John's primary. The White Wife pond was practically next door and that particular tale made us a wee bit wary of the Swan's around there.
Another story told was that Swan's were 'Royal' birds and to harm one in any way was quite a serious matter.
In saying that, I've also sat on the grass - bag of bread in hand - in amongst a whole family of Swan's over at the Rec pond in Stevenston and never once felt threatened.

And here's a friendly boy from early June 2013 at the Rec.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Good photo that michaelm. Very pretty bird but as you and i know looks can be deceiving. Could that be the culprit thats chasing oor Bill about ??
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Brian its a huge cygnet down at the White Wife that is causing the bother. That is photo of a cob. Incidentally the cygnets at the quarry are a friendly bunch.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day I decided to take on my cygnet with the easy weapon that would defeat him. Bread my dears, he was as happy as a pig in spite of the weather . Even stroked his nut which he seemed to like very much. I wonder can you adopt a swan.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Don't adopt. If he does not get enough 🍞 he will bite you on the backside.

This morn my pigeons are tucking into a maple syrup pancake.