Bird Habits !!

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bird Habits !!

Post by brian f »

Up the English east coast last week on the market square this wee scabby pigeon was trying to earn a living amongst the gulls for grub or so we thought. The chips did not interest this poor albino. It just wanted a bit of loving, jumping from one diner to another for a cuddle.Could- Snowy have migrated South.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

On Friday Mrs B was walking hame fae work eating a tesco piece and a seagull took it right oot her hand, big baseturd //funny
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

And noo wan has just landed a big jobby right in the middle of my living room windae (the windae cleaner was here yesterday) think we're being targeted :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

A bird I find fascinating is the pied wagtail in fact all the wagtails are special. They have a really tough time in winter as they feed mostly on insects. To-day I saw quite a few taking advantage of the insects that are frequenting the sea weed washed up along south beach.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We have two Willie Wagtails in our garden most days. They annoy the hell out any Australian Magpies that come near - lovely wee birds and they have a nice song. :)
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Love the Willy wagtails, Hughie. They're always hopping around. Never stop. Remember the animated aboriginal stories on TV and the story basically said that one shouldn't follow a wagtail because he would lead you astray. You would never get anywhere because he never travelled in a straight line.
Don't they say to protect yourself from predators you zigzag. Think that what they're doing but the story has substance. You don't follow anyone who is all over the place.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Northerly winds coming down this weekend and maybe some interesting birds with them like whooper swans that were so common in Stevenston. The scaup I expect will arrive at their well known pond next to the old ruin of a pump house at Auchenharvie. One of the great things about that pond for them is they know it is safe and if they are there newly arrived from their long flight you will find them in daylight sound asleep on the water.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Over the past wee while I've noticed a little bird on the tree in my garden. It starts at the bottom of the tree and spirals its way up. After a bit of googling it may be a treecreeper.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Very likely Bonzo they were really common at one time and look like a wee mouse going up the trunk. To-day I took a walk to the "Scaup Pond"and there was only one scaup there a female. Loads of coots and a dabchick and also a dozen Canada geese. Loads of grazing for the birds on the golf course. Surprised that wigeon who are also grazers don't use this place.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Got some cookies at ASDA for the birds tomorrow.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day my favourite duck rushed to-wards me and then steadied himself thinking I may not really be a good guy. Despite the gulls trying to muscle in he was able to carry off a large piece of bread. Well I fed the swans and the rest and carried on down to-wards the club house and who do you think was waiting for me? My duck, I think he has been watching my movements as I walk that way most days. I apologised by showing him empty hands and he looked as though he understood. I am going to try and prove all of this by feeding him and all the fowl at the usual place but retaining some bread and hope to see him waiting for me near the club house.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Birds are such great opportunists . My neighbour for years put out loads of bird food and then stopped and the birds stopped coming. To-day I saw a great tit which is unusual and then I saw the bird food hanging in next door's garden. On the subject of starlings ( which are in decline) to watch them go to roost is spectacular. How they weave in and out like a cloud of locusts never touching each other. This spectacle can be seen at the big shed at Ardrossan harbour.