George Pell

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

George Pell

Post by glenshena »

Hughie what is your opinion on this 'Archbishop' presuming you knew of him as he was in office in Ballarat before going to Melbourne. He is now in charge of the Vatican finances. Can't get much higher than that. :shock:
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: George Pell

Post by bobnetau »

glenshena wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm Hughie what is your opinion on this 'Archbishop' presuming you knew of him as he was in office in Ballarat before going to Melbourne. He is now in charge of the Vatican finances. Can't get much higher than that. :shock:
'Archbishop' gets a mention in the book by Chrissie Foster "Hell on the way to Heaven"
Chrissie and her husband lost a daughter who committed suicide because of the abuse by a priest. Pell was involved with their pursuit for justice. Anthony Foster died about a month ago and was given a state funeral. I am sure he would have loved to see Pell face the court.

Sorry, You asked Hugh but feel strongly about Pell.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I see your Italian newspapers are giving this story high priority, Jean. Many here in Australia expected some sort of action against Pell. The things that have come out on our Royal Commission into child abuse specifically in Ballarat have been horrendous. Ballarat newspaper article

You asked for my opinion. Well, I'll reserve that till the court case. But I am of the belief that this abuse could have been minimised if priests had been allowed to marry.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I suppose if the children he himself abused testified against him he could not avoid conviction even at his age. But this has to be proved and as he is a very powerful person it may not be easy. But the fact that this has being going on for so many years and he did nothing to stop it is a.hedious crime.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Sorry, henious crime.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Another scandalous charter in Germany at the famous Regensburg cathedral where more than 500 choir boys were physically and sexually assaulted over the years from 1940 through 1970. The Brother of Pope Benedict is involved in the scandal as like Pell he knew what was going on but did nothing to stop it. I cant understand this sick behaviour. I hope the Catholic Church can do something radical, like letting priests marry, so that these monsters will never again be allowed to interfere with little boys. I can understand a nun not being allowed to marry, as she is a 'bride of Christ, ' but I dont see a reason why a priest cannot marry as Protestant ministers do. :mrgreen:
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Priests used to be married ,but the Vatican stopped it, for what reason I have no idea.
Yet if you join the Priesthood already married that is fine.
SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

In 1139, the Second Lateran Council officially imposed mandatory celibacy on all priests. Every priest's marriage was declared invalid and every married priest was required to separate from their wife — leaving them to whatever fate had in store for them, even if it meant leaving them destitute. Of course this was an immoral thing to do to those spouses, and many clergy realized that there was little religious or traditional basis for it, so they defied that order and continued in their marriages.

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-ce ... ism-250823

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Nuns ,Brides of Christ

1545-63-Council of Trent states that celibacy and virginity are superior to marriage.

https://www.futurechurch.org/brief-hist ... lic-church

This is a god given right .

SC