alzheimer dusease

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

alzheimer dusease

Post by glenshena »

I am quite astonished at just how many elderly women that I know have been diagnosed recently with Alzheimers. At least 4. Is this what the future holds for us women? Or.is it just another form of senile dementia. In days gone by one would be classified just as senile. Seems to be more frequent in women and it almost looks like
no-one is imune. The body can be cured but not so much the mind. Dont know which is better.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: alzheimer dusease

Post by stivis »

I would suggest that it might be a case of the doctors are better at diagnosing the symptoms earlier , so it looks like an increase in the illness when it's them picking it up sooner. The underlying proportions are the same
If you get my drift
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Agree stivis if you think back a good few years it would be said an old person was a bit "wandered". Was this alzheimers? And it's not just old folk my mate's dad died from it a couple of years ago he was 52.
Those wimin were in the nip.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

All I can say about this illness is i would not wish it on my worst enemy,my wee wife has suffered from Alzheimer's for 10 years now diagnosed at 59 years old and it is very hard to watch the only person you have loved for 48years like a small child when she was told she had it she asked me to promise not to put her into a home as she had to put her mum into a home I am know her mum husband dad whatever she calls me and am happy to be her carer and am lucky to have a daughter that looks after us both and makes sure I get my breaks away when I know I need one
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I have an aversion to the concept of Private Nursing Home, It's morally wrong ( Help ma boab he's on his high horse)The idea of folk making money out of other's suffering , and to profit more out of low paying of staff and some applying zero hour contracts...It's all wrong ,,,,,,and the NHS pays for it ( well most of it)

Did the Co-operative not run homes?
As did Unions , and a few types of Societies In the NE of England ( can't remember the name they were classed as)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

MANBEAR wrote:All I can say about this illness is i would not wish it on my worst enemy,my wee wife has suffered from Alzheimer's for 10 years now diagnosed at 59 years old and it is very hard to watch the only person you have loved for 48years like a small child when she was told she had it she asked me to promise not to put her into a home as she had to put her mum into a home I am know her mum husband dad whatever she calls me and am happy to be her carer and am lucky to have a daughter that looks after us both and makes sure I get my breaks away when I know I need one
What a loving caring man you are. :D
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

stivis wrote:I have an aversion to the concept of Private Nursing Home, It's morally wrong ( Help ma boab he's on his high horse)The idea of folk making money out of other's suffering , and to profit more out of low paying of staff and some applying zero hour contracts...It's all wrong ,,,,,,and the NHS pays for it ( well most of it)

Did the Co-operative not run homes?
As did Unions , and a few types of Societies In the NE of England ( can't remember the name they were classed as)
The cost of private nursing homes in N,I is about £880 per week of which the NHS pays £100 towards it the rest comes from the persons family and any benefits that the person has minus £28 spending money and any money for death insurance this saves the State paying for funeral if there is a home the house will be sold when the spouse dies to repay any outstanding costs
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Manbear you must have the patience of Job, what a wonderful husband.

Meg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

There is a great book called "Dementia the one-stop guide. Practical advice for families, professionals, and people with dementia and Alzheimer's Disease", written by June Andrews.
It's very informative and easy to read. I can really recommend it.

https://profilebooks.com/dementia-the-o ... guide.html
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Everytime I struggle to remember a name, which is now quite frequently, I worry that this is the start of something more serious. But maybe it's just old age creeping up. Don't know which is worse, body aches or loss of memory. My compliments to Manbear for his comittment to his wife. I'm afraid it would be a home for me. My mother was very well looked after during her stay at Abbotsford nursing home. She quite accepted the fact that that's where she would spend her last days, making things easier for her absent children.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Garbageman, (Haha thought I typed Glenshena)! I empathize with you regarding names. Was never good at remembering far less now. Yesterday I was talking to this lady and she used my name all the time. Me not once did I say her name and it still hasn't come. O well I guess I just have to keep doing puzzles, crosswords, Sudoku and trivia to keep my brain working. Need to consider learning something new. What I don't know.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Heard on the tele today that drinking full fat Milk can lead to alzheimers in women. Thankfully I have been drinking semi-skilled for years.