looking for long lost friends

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

looking for long lost friends

Post by Tommy Walker »

I hope some of you are old enough to remember going to the craigs jigging in the late fifties early sixties. Do you remember a local band called the Chekkers. I played sax with them for 6 years. Lost touch and constantly think of them.they were all three townersRonnie watt. Andy bell . Charlie donachie.jim Johnson. And John O'hare. Hopefully some of you will know and I will have peace.heres hoping
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: looking for long lost friends

Post by Vivc113 »

You may wish to join the public facebook group too 'Stevenston Now and Then Memories'. You can ask on there.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Tommy Walker »

Thanks for that. I will give this a wee while and hope for the best.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember the Chekkers band at the Castle Craigs all those years ago and enjoyed them. I'm sure you played there around the same time as the great Ricki Barnes and the highly thought of Sensational Alex Harvey Band. I remember your vocalist, Charlie Donachie who'd be in his early seventies now - don't know what became of him as I left for Oz in 1964.
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Tommy Walker »

Great to hear from you. Yes we played alongside Ricky barnes and alex.harvey.great bands.met ricky in Germany in 1964 he was resident in the star club. Glad you have good memories of castlecraigs.
Eileen (Flood) Healy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Eileen (Flood) Healy »

Tommy, I was talking to Charlie's sister-in-law and Charlie now lives in Kilmarnock.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

I can't help with the Chekkers question, but the post made me think of a talented guitarist and singer I knew very well, who would've played the same venues as you around the same time, but with another band.

He was Jimmy Gallagher, who played with The Red Robins. Jimmy was married to my cousin, Margaret Ann, for many years.

He sadly passed away at Christmas time, 2009.

I was at Jimmy's surprise 60th birthday party in the Rec Bowling Club, about 15 years ago now, and The Red Robins were there too.

A cracking fella, and very sorely missed.
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Tommy Walker »

This is great.i knew Jimmy Gallagher very well.after he entered the Scotland's Tommy steele competition he went out on his own.I joined red Robins as singer in fact I have a picture of us playing at some gig .stan Montgomery and murray baird are to the fore.by the way jimmy, s wifes maiden name is it monaghan?
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Tommy Walker »

Thanks for the news about charlie.wpuld you friend be able to find out about andy bell.him and charlie were good pals
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Tommy Walker wrote:This is great.i knew Jimmy Gallagher very well.after he entered the Scotland's Tommy steele competition he went out on his own.I joined red Robins as singer in fact I have a picture of us playing at some gig .stan Montgomery and murray baird are to the fore.by the way jimmy, s wifes maiden name is it monaghan?

Aye Tommy, her maiden name's Margaret Ann Monaghan, still living in Stevenston.

I posted these photos in a thread some years ago on here, just noticed you are in them. It was Margaret Ann who gave me them.

Click on the pics to make them bigger.

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... ns#p114349
Tommy Walker
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Tommy Walker »

Those pictures are brilliant. I am not in them .slightly before my time. I came in when Jimmy left. Please let margaret anne know I am asking for her.she was lovely .hope she remembers me.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Tommy Walker wrote:Those pictures are brilliant. I am not in them .slightly before my time. I came in when Jimmy left. Please let margaret anne know I am asking for her.she was lovely .hope she remembers me.

Oops, the 'Tommy' that's there is actually Gilmour, sorry. :oops:

I'll pass on your best wishes to Margaret Ann, no problem. :good:

She has a memory like an elephant, so no doubt she'll remember you alright. :mrgreen: