The Ship Inn

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Ship Inn

Post by bonzo »

Scott McCallum wrote:The last time I was in - admittedly a few years ago - it was being run by Ian Jardine an ex Partick Thisle (and Irvine Vics) player.

Scott McCallum
Scott, was it not the harbour lights Ian Jardine was the landlord of.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote:
Scott McCallum wrote:The last time I was in - admittedly a few years ago - it was being run by Ian Jardine an ex Partick Thisle (and Irvine Vics) player.

Scott McCallum
Scott, was it not the harbour lights Ian Jardine was the landlord of.
Ian jardine was my older brothers best pal at Ravenspark.
exile wrote:Maybe social historians out there can take this up...
The Ship - many centuries old, civilised, good food - is the type of place that's like the proverbial hen's teeth in Scotland but found absolutely everywhere in England.
Why is that?
Was stone too expensive, or timber too scarce, or were old buildings just knocked down to make way for new ones?
You can stick your English pubs up your -ss .Scottish pubs = Good atmosphere . :D
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Sorry - you will be right with the Harbour Lights, not the Shio Inn. Too long ago?

Scott McCallum
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

exile wrote:
Maybe social historians out there can take this up...
The Ship - many centuries old, civilised, good food - is the type of place that's like the proverbial hen's teeth in Scotland but found absolutely everywhere in England.
Why is that?
Was stone too expensive, or timber too scarce, or were old buildings just knocked down to make way for new ones?
You can stick your English pubs up your -ss .Scottish pubs = Good atmosphere . :D
I'm baffled at the boorishness of this reply.
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

So a man I. Poppy
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Never frequented this establishment but my wee sister loves it and she is hard to please :lol: so must be good
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Glad to report the food is as good and abundant as ever. The Magnum seems to have disappeared into a pile of rubble. Sad. The tea room further down called GRO is very successful, I've never seen or tasted such delicious homemade cakes and scones. Lovely comfortable armchairs and couches. Just a bit on the small side, as it is VERY popular. //perfect
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

'The Ship' has always been quite a popular and well known eatery/watering hole for local folk.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

The whole harbour area is having a bit of a resurgence these days, despite (or maybe because of?) the loss of the Magnum.

Gro cafe. right down at the end, does good coffee and food. Live music too some evenings.

Up beside the station, Vanilla Joes is one of the best ice cream shops in the country. Always really busy. Great selection of ice cream - my daughter swears by the dairy-free chocolate...

The old “Nancy’s Cafe”, which was a newsagents and ‘roll’n’sausage” cafe, has had a refurb and is now “Nancy’s kitchen”. Open til late, serving great burgers. Owned by the same people as Vanilla Joe.

Niche cafe, next to Nancys - only been there once - it was nice, but I felt a bit overpriced.

This sounds like an advertisement! But why can’t we have something like this in the 3 towns.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Bruce wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 am The whole harbour area is having a bit of a resurgence these days, despite (or maybe because of?) the loss of the Magnum.

Gro cafe. right down at the end, does good coffee and food. Live music too some evenings.

Up beside the station, Vanilla Joes is one of the best ice cream shops in the country. Always really busy. Great selection of ice cream - my daughter swears by the dairy-free chocolate...

The old “Nancy’s Cafe”, which was a newsagents and ‘roll’n’sausage” cafe, has had a refurb and is now “Nancy’s kitchen”. Open til late, serving great burgers. Owned by the same people as Vanilla Joe.

Niche cafe, next to Nancys - only been there once - it was nice, but I felt a bit overpriced.

This sounds like an advertisement! But why can’t we have something like this in the 3 towns.
For me, it's the attitude of the folk.
I like going to Irvine, there seems to be a bit of 'get-up-and-go' about the people there.
In TTT I always seem to see the folk slouching along in trainers and even sand-shoes, all very down-at-heel and no sense of nicely-turned-out clothes. And no one seems to have a smile on their face. Many shops and buildings have flaking paint. It depresses the life out of me on visits home. I always look forward to my visits so much and then feel dumped when I get there.
We've been here before - regularly. They can't blame the council, the SNP, the IDA, the government (Edinburgh or Westminster) or anybody else except themselves.
It's get off your a**s time. What's going to happen tomorrow that didn't happen today which is going to make things better? Who's going to present you with a nice new environment, free, gratis and for nothing, where you're going to feel happy and content?
There are enough empty shops and premises that could be made into such cafes and restaurants as you describe in Irvine.
I think the grey clouds and threatening rain outside are making me awful depressed here the day.
JD.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I expect Vanilla Joes will be Italian as it has .'gelateria' written above the shop. Experts in good ice cream. You know JD Its the bad weather that 's so depressing. I'm lucky to live in a country that has very little rain and mostly blue skies. You just have to go to Largs to see the difference in the people and shops and tearooms. They are all busy. It seems to be improving all the time. No closed shops in the main street. Pity about the parking.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

from: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local ... ps-5487037
He may have built up a reputation as a master fish fryer but Irvine businessman Marco Edge is using his great great grandfather’s secret recipe to cook up his latest venture.

Marco, 32, has discovered his great grandfather Giuseppe Piacentini’s recipe to open his new ice cream parlour complete with his top of the range £20,000 ice cream maker at Irvine’s harbourside.

And he has named it Vanilla Joe’s in honour of his great great grandfather Giueseppe or Joe as he was known by everyone.