Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

michaelm wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm
bonzo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm Barassie beach, Troon beach (it must be summer as the wee ice cream kiosk was open)
20 miles today.
Must have been chitterin' at the beache's today bonzo. As for the kiosk, are ye sure it wisnae hot soup and rolls they were selling? :lol:
Hahaha maybe, but there was definitely cones hanging up when I passed.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

What a foggy cycle to work this morning, the heaviest fog I've seen in years.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 am What a foggy cycle to work this morning, the heaviest fog I've seen in years.
I get a buzz out of fog.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I quite enjoy it myself, although I'm a bit more careful on the roads. Coming through Irvine Moor this morning people and dugs appearing from nowhere a bit surreal.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Dogs can be a problem for cyclists. Love dogs but I used to squirt my water bottle at them if bothered. :shock:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Here in the 3 towns, we’re close to a couple of the National Cycle Network routes.

Route 73 starts in kilmarnock, running along an old railway line to Dreghorn, then follows cycle paths through Irvine, across the moor to Kilwinning. From there, you follow Dubbs Rd to Stevenston, through the quarry and then along the shore front to Ardrossan.

(it then jumps across to Brodick, going on to Lochranza...)

The kilmarnock-Ardrossan section is almost completely traffic free, other than the Kilwinning-Stevenston section - and even that road is about to be made “no through” for cars. It’s also pretty flat.

Route 7 runs from Sunderland to Inverness, via Carlisle, Gretna, Newton Stewart, Ayr, Glasgow, Balloch, Callander, Blair Atholl....

In our area, it runs pretty much along the coast and on cycle paths from Ayr via Prestwick and Troon, then to Irvine and then Kilwinning. From Glengarnock, it follows the old railway line through kilbirnie, lochwinnoch, kilbarchan, johnstone to paisley, then via pollok park and belladhouston to the city centre. Mostly traffic-free and flat.

The problem is the bit between Kilwinning and Kilbirnie. It’s farm roads, over the Kilwinning viaduct, following the road behind the Blair estate, behind Dalry, crossing the A737 near Highfield, eventually emerging near Longbar. There are several problems with this bit of road. Its gets quite busy - it’s a “rat run” around the traffic jams in Dalry. There’s lots of agricultural traffic. And it’s hilly. Very hilly!

It’s not the ideal cycling route for young families, or commuters.

For some time, there has been talk of an alternative route - flatter and traffic free - from Kilwinning to Dalry, and then to Kilbirnie. Recently a feasibility study has been carried out, identifying 3 possible routes for each of these legs.

If you use facebook, you can see the report and comment on the “Plug the Gap” facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589621264683662/
Click the “files” button on that page to read the report.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Headed to auchengate this morning out via the Moor, harbourside and the beach park.
Turn back through shewlton woods in which there was still some really icey patches (a couple of times I had to get off and do the old man shuffle across the ice) :lol:
Then round to riverside and back into Irvine town centre. Dropped in to aldi for a packet of empire biscuits and up the road. 15 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I was in the same area. From Saltcoats I went thru Stevenston, then dubbs road to Kilwinning. Followed the main road into irvine, then Low Green, Harbour, Gailes and on to Barassie. Along the front at Troon, then back by roughly the same route.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo and Bruce, Are you guys full of Scott's porridge oats before you hit the road in this freezing weather.
And it's good to see this thread up and running again. Brave men :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

More like daft Brian :lol:. Not particularly looking forward to cycling to work next week as it looks like its blawin a hoolie all week.
Mrs b has bought a turbo trainer which basically turns your bike into an exercise bike not a bad bit of kit.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Match abandoned this morning, think I went out to early it was mega icey. Got as far as Kilwinning on the cycle path but it was sheet ice.
On to the main Rd at the blacklands and stuck to the road back into Irvine round the marress over the Fullerton arches and up the road.
Even on the roads near the curb was icey. Absolutely nae fun.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Troon this morning just the usual way. Ravenspark, the Moor, harbourside, beachpark, gailes rd, Barassie beach, Troon beach. Stopped at royal Troon club house. Turned and back the same way. 25 miles.

The roads are getting really bad with potholes after the recent cold weather I can see some overtime coming the road workers way.