Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Well I got one of my favourite Christmas prezzies this morning a wee shot on my bike, only fae Irvine tae ma faithers in Stevenston but it feels so gid tae be back in the saddle. Hopefully I can get back tae more serious cycling in the new year. Aw the best everyone :santa03:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Good to hear you’re back on 2 wheels....
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cheers Bruce, hope you're still getting the miles in. Pouring fae the heavens this morning but jings it felt gid.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I'm trying to get back out and about on the bike abit more and hope the stupid recurring injury stays away.

Headed from castlpark to Kilwinning cemetery where I laid a wreath on my auld auntie's grave. Then through the town into Stevenston down the toonheid, bogglemart st to Saltcoats. Back along the prom, Caledonia Rd, dubbs Rd and hame. Only 15 miles but it's a start.

Must have been upwards of 2 degrees this morning not quite the 42 you're getting hughie :lol:.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Aye, it was freezing this morning. I had the “winter boots” on for the first time this winter. First time I’ve been out since the start of december.

I headed north from Saltcoats - got as far as the traffic lights at Ardrossan academy when I saw a guy fixing a puncture. Asked if he was OK - his pump wasn’t sealing, so I stopped and lent him mine.

There’s a good camaraderie amongst cyclists - in the 5 minutes I was stopped, 3 or 4 bikes went past; all offered assistance.

On along the coast road to Largs, then most of the way to Skelmorlie. Headed back, coffee at Largs to heat up my hands. Then back to Saltcoats.

Cold, but pleasant trip, although my hands were freezing by the end. I guess i need better gloves.

Only met one numpty driver.... coming back into Largs, near Nardinis, traffic was nose-to-tail, crawling at 10mph, then stopped at the lights at Nardinis. Guy behind me was desperate to get past, and as traffic started moving again, he went screaming past on the other side of the road - only to stop dead at the traffic lights 50 yards further on. I got a mouthful of abuse as I passed him again - apparently “bikes are not allowed to cycle in the middle of the lane, stopping him getting past". I genuinely believe he had real anger management issues.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It's called 'road rage' and can be very nasty. I find at this time of year there are too many nervous, angry people around, especially the week before Christmas when parking the car for shopping is nearly impossible. Why do people leave their shopping to the last days and then panic? Having said that, when I'm in a car I hate cyclists, and when I'm on a bike I hate cars! Over here with no cycle tracks and too much traffic they are risking their lives on two wheels. But they are all 'good weather' cyclists, you don't see them when it rains.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Unfortunately it's the way of things now everybody on the road thinks it's their given right to get there yesterday especially the wans wae jeeps or big noisy exhaust pipes.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Disgusting behaviour. No wonder I stay on quiet roads up the country.

That said. A few years ago some ijits went past me in a car which was then upside down minutes later in a field. Stopped to check on them. Young lad told me it was slippy bend.

Slippy I suppose if you go round it at 100 miles an hour.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:35 am Disgusting behaviour. No wonder I stay on quiet roads up the country.

That said. A few years ago some ijits went past me in a car which was then upside down minutes later in a field. Stopped to check on them. Young lad told me it was slippy bend.

Slippy I suppose if you go round it at 100 miles an hour.
Country roads are especially dangerous for cyclist because they are narrow and not straight and many folk including farmers are not looking out for you.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Off today so I got a few more miles in with a run to Troon.
It was really frosty going through Irvine Moor and the beach Park so had to caw canny but once I got on to the gailes rd it was fine.
Barassie beach, Troon beach(it must be summer as the wee ice cream kiosk was open)past royal Troon then onto the local cycle path back to Barassie when straight along the gailes Rd to Irvine and hame.
20 miles today.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm Barassie beach, Troon beach (it must be summer as the wee ice cream kiosk was open)
20 miles today.
Must have been chitterin' at the beache's today bonzo. As for the kiosk, are ye sure it wisnae hot soup and rolls they were selling? :lol:
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I loved my cycling and there is a brotherhood of the wheels. Anyway I got fed up getting punctured and fitted armadillo tyres. The downside is that they slow you up and also my bike was a mountain bike ( I still have it) which makes you feel very safe on the road but extra hard work. Loved to cycle down to Ayr and buy a wild salmon which I would negotiate a price for. I kind of think they thought I was a bit eccentric because they never argued with the price I offered and would even gut and steak the fish for me. Happy days.