Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by 5siamese7 »

Thing is Bonzo when you are cycling you have to keep your eye on the road and try not to look at the scenery. I wish I could get back on the bike but what I did notice is that the longer the ride the more risks you would take.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

The big danger for me wasn't so much looking at the scenery, it was when I bought one of those small cycle computers to fit onto my handlebars. At first I couldn't resist regularly glancing down at it to check my current speed etc, but sometimes if the screen was hard to make out I'd squint at it for a bit too long. Nearly came a cropper a few times doing that so I eventually decided only to check the data on it when I'd came to a stop.
Be warned.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

My bike itself is a health hazard. One of the heavy bikes you saw in the 70s and 80s. I always have to watch. Stop too fast and I would break ma neck.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Sounds like your brakes might need adjustment, new blocks, or even both Vivc.
Bonzo or Bruce might well be able to correct me here, but I was always taught to use my rear wheel brake just a second or so before the front one, as doing so greatly reduces the chances of going head first over the handlebars.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Years ago I bought an old policeman's bike for a tenner and would cycle to Dalry and back on an errand and take on the traffic. Yes I did cycle on the left but it was total lunacy. I think getting on a bike can change some folk's personality.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It has never changed my personality. But then, I am feart from ma bike.

Once saw a cyclist attempt to hold up the 585 near Hawkhill Cemetery. Driver rang the depot to ask them to call the police.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

If you're unsure of the safety or condition of your bike, take it along to "On yer bike" in Kilwinning and ask them to do a safety check. Very helpful and obliging people, good workshop, charity pricing, and some excellent second hand bikes for sale at budget prices.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Didn't really know about this place Bruce, but was always curious about the 'Bike Sale' sign with a pointer arrow that sits on the right hand side of Irvine Rd. on the way out of Kilwinning. I'm presuming that's where it's situated. It certainly looks impressive from online first impressions.
Here's the link to their official website, from where the 'Onyerbike Ayrshire'' facebook page can also be accessed.
https://www.onyerbike.club/
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Brill !! Thanks !!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That’s the place - it’s in the Dirrans Pavilion, behind the houses and beside the football park - I believe it was once the head injuries clinic.

It’s a charity that collects donated bikes, police lost property etc, does them up and sells them at bargain prices. My daughter took a notion to try cycling - I suggested she got a second hand bike to see if she liked it - she went there and picked up one for £30 - a bit tatty, but safe, and freshly serviced. Last time I was there, there was a family just leaving - the mum had picked up 4 bikes, for her and the 3 kids, for the same price as 1 basic bike at Halfords.

They’ve also got a bike club, to get teenagers out on their bikes, and they teach bike maintenance.

Unfortunately the cafe didn’t do well, and has shut.

If you’re going along, check their Facebook page, or phone them - the opening hours can be a bit variable. This week, it’s tue 12-4, thur 10-4, fri 10-4. Also quite often open sunday afternoons.

More info on
http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/kil ... e_capital/
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38bAVKmgQiWXW8u62
Think I've found my new hame hahaha
Those wimin were in the nip.