Not the THREETOWNS but close

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not the THREETOWNS but close

Post by Hughie »

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I watch the parade most years and this year was no exception. In my eyes it wasn't the best of processions with only 4 bands.
It was a lovely day which makes a difference when watching the horse racing and the greasy pole.
Always a great day for meeting people you don't see the year round, you can almost guarantee to bump into them on marymass Saturday.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo-Does the TEAM who won the greasy pole still go round the crowd with a blanket collecting money for winning.?? Must be over 40 years since i went but i think they earned a few boab.... The Affleck family maybe :wink:

Update -Sorry georgersweir and penny tray has asked this question before , the search box reveals :oops:
Last edited by brian f on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Yes and yes Brian they go around the Moor then into the town and round the pubs. I've never found out what happens to the ham, although it's covered in grease it's well wrapped so must still be edible.
Incidentally Brian I just noticed our newest member have you had an upgrade :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

:hi: I hope G is not as daft as me . I feel like a right clown at the moment ..
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
11 SEPTEMBER 1912

FATAL FALL FROM A TRAIN

A female passenger fell from an express train yesterday afternoon while travelling between Glasgow and Ardrossan, and was instantaneously killed.

It seems that the woman, who has not yet been identified, travelled from Glasgow Central by the 9.15 a.m. train to Ardrossan, presumably to catch the Irish steamer, and at a point known as Lemens Siding, between Auchenmade and Kilwinning Stations, the door of the carriage flew open and she fell out of the train.

There was nobody in the compartment with the woman, and from a railway ticket in her possession it seems she was travelling from Airdrie to Newry. Her belongings included a number of articles which presumably had been purchased as gifts, and indicated that she was either going or returning from holiday.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 am GLASGOW HERALD
11 SEPTEMBER 1912

FATAL FALL FROM A TRAIN

A female passenger fell from an express train yesterday afternoon while travelling between Glasgow and Ardrossan, and was instantaneously killed.

It seems that the woman, who has not yet been identified, travelled from Glasgow Central by the 9.15 a.m. train to Ardrossan, presumably to catch the Irish steamer, and at a point known as Lemens Siding, between Auchenmade and Kilwinning Stations, the door of the carriage flew open and she fell out of the train.

There was nobody in the compartment with the woman, and from a railway ticket in her possession it seems she was travelling from Airdrie to Newry. Her belongings included a number of articles which presumably had been purchased as gifts, and indicated that she was either going or returning from holiday.
GLASGOW HERALD
12 SEPTEMBER 1912

RAILWAY FATALITY

The female passenger who fell from the train between Glasgow and Ardrossan on Tuesday and was killed has been identified by her son as Mrs Kelly, Newry, who had been on a visit to him at McLean’s Land, Airdrie.

He had accompanied her from Airdrie to Glasgow and seen her off at the Central Station.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 OCTOBER 1900

HEAVY GALE – RESCUE BY CAMPBELTOWN LIFEBOAT

The ANNA SARAH, schooner, of Ipswich, from Ardrossan to Dives, France, with 123 tons of coal, was caught in a south-easterly gale yesterday forenoon in the Irish Channel, and had all her sails blown away. She tried to make Campbeltown Harbour, but was driven close along the Arran shore, touching the Iron Rock, and brought up on Saddell Bay.

Signals of distress were flown, and the Campbeltown lifeboat went to the rescue, taking off the crew of six men.

The wind afterwards moderating, it was hoped the vessel would escape injury.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
7 OCTOBER 1882

STRIKE OF QUAY LABOURERS AT BELFAST

Yesterday a strike of the labourers employed at the three steamers belonging to Messrs. G. & J. Burns took place in Belfast. Some dissatisfaction had existed amongst the labourers employed at the Glasgow and Greenock steamers as to the rate of wages, but it was only on Thursday night that Mr. Gibson, the representative of Messrs. Burns at Belfast, heard that such a feeling prevailed, and that they were seeking an increase.

Yesterday morning the men commenced their work as usual, and broke off at breakfast time, but did not resume at the customary hour afterwards.

The labourers employed at the Ardrossan steamer, who had not previously given any intimation of dissatisfaction, also struck work; but after a short interval, in the course of which no negotiations with Messrs. Burns’s office took place, they were about to commence again when they were intimidated from doing so by some of the ringleaders at the Glasgow and Greenock steamers.

In the afternoon Mr. Gibson offered the men 1s 6d per week additional wages, and an amicable arrangement was afterwards arrived at, the men resuming work at all the steamers.

In consequence of the strike the steamers were somewhat detained beyond their usual time of sailing last night.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
15 OCTOBER 1872

SIR,

INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL (ASSOCIATION) MATCH

This match will be played early this season. Will you allow me, through your columns to invite Scotch players who may wish to take part in the match, to send their names and addresses to me, either direct, or through their captain or secretary, not later than Monday the 21st inst., so as to afford time for co-operation and practice.

I am &c,
Arch.Rae, Hon. Secy.

[Presumaby this refers to the Scotland versus England match, which took place on the 30th November 1872, and which FIFA officially recognise as the first ever international match. Previous fixtures under the heading of England versus Scotland did not meet the criteria necessary to be deemed official.]
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
!8 October 1862

IRVINE.
On the 10th inst., Thomas Wilson, labourer, was brought up before Bailies Calderwood, Wallace, and Paterson, charged with creating a breach of the peace by foolishly and without cause bringing his mother-in-law while in a helpless condition in a cart to the door of the Inspector of Poor and laying her there unprotected whereby a crowd was attracted. He pled guilty, and was sentenced to pay a fine of ten shillings, or suffer ten days' imprisonment in Ayr Jail, with hard labour.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hughie wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 am Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
!8 October 1862

IRVINE.
On the 10th inst., Thomas Wilson, labourer, was brought up before Bailies Calderwood, Wallace, and Paterson, charged with creating a breach of the peace by foolishly and without cause bringing his mother-in-law while in a helpless condition in a cart to the door of the Inspector of Poor and laying her there unprotected whereby a crowd was attracted. He pled guilty, and was sentenced to pay a fine of ten shillings, or suffer ten days' imprisonment in Ayr Jail, with hard labour.
Was his Mother-in-law. in a helpless condition or was he in a helpless condition?