Re going dancing in the 60's

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
cb23
Settling In
Settling In

Re going dancing in the 60's

Post by cb23 »

Hi

Does anyone remember going to The Ritz dancing in Irvine? This would have been in the 60's.

Is there anywhere else that use to hold dance's back then, maybe in the three towns area?

cb23
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Re going dancing in the 60's

Post by brian f »

Just missed out on it cb (Ritz )although a lot of the aulder wans have memories of it .
In Irvine i used to boogie (try) in the Kings Arms (upstairs) .
However i much preferred the Ingledene , Kilmenny and the Commodore in Ardrossan 1970s.
The women better quality you see. :D
Last edited by brian f on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The Ingledene did and so did the Kilmeny I think. Bobby Jones in Ayr was popular if a bit far.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
cb23
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cb23 »

Thanx brian f. Where was the Kilmeny Morag? What year did that start and finish?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

As you went from Saltcoats to Ardrossan there was the Lauriston, then the Ingledene and then the Kilmeny. I'm not sure when the dancing ended as I was pretty much away from the area by the late 60's. I'm sure one of the 3Towners will know! :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The hotel dances never really started till around 1959/60 in Ardrossan from what I recall. Earlier in the 1950s there was the Castle Craigs - started going there when I was fourteen as my older brother's would-be girl friend offered to teach me - she was just after oor Bobby. :wink:
In Saltcoats, again in the fifties there was the Lesser Town Hall on a Saturday night - I never did go there.
In Stevenston it was the Rec, that along with the Castle Craigs when Rikki Barnes and Alex Harvey played there were the tops.
In Kilwinning, for me it was the Love Memorial Hall on a Thursday night "The Hop". had some great nights there with Sammy Kerr's group playing
At Irvine my pals and I were regulars at the Friday late dances at the Ritz too.

Related topic.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

cb23 wrote:Thanx brian f. Where was the Kilmeny Morag? What year did that start and finish?
My Goad, I'm feeling auld the day.

:( :( :(

JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Dancing in the 60s was before my time - and always beyond my ability - but did 'special' buses not also run to The Moorings in Largs, and maybe even the Walker Hall in Kilbirnie?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

I went to the Craigs and the Rec dancing and in the early sixties to the Eglinton Hotel to the RAFA dances. poppy
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

I remember the Ritz well, I used to go there regularly and met my ex wife there around '64. Went to the Walker a few times but only to watch the fighting!
Alex
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny Tray wrote:Dancing in the 60s was before my time - and always beyond my ability - but did 'special' buses not also run to The Moorings in Largs, and maybe even the Walker Hall in Kilbirnie?
Penny,
I don't remember any special buses to the "Moorings", many a time I walked back home to Ardrossan having missed the last service bus.
However we did travel to the "Cragburn" in Gourock in a mini-bus owned and driven by, I forget the guys name, who went to the "British Legion Club" in Greenock every week. For a period of time we went there most weeks occasionally going to a dance hall above "Burton's" in Greenock. In those days the American fleet were based in the Holy Loch and the sailors went in great numbers to these dance halls. We used to joke that we felt sea sick with all the uniforms around us.
The Jazz club in the "Ingledene" was the in place to be at one time in the three towns, while moving further afield there was the Ritz, Troon Concert Hall, Bobby Jones, Ayr Pavilion,The Locarno,The Barrowlands,The Denison Pallae
(spelling ?),The Majestic, not forgetting the Grand hall in Kilmarnock.
Most of these places you had to find your own way there and back, no special buses. :wink:
cb23
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cb23 »

Thank you for all your comments. Did you all see the reunion in the Herald for the ingeldene? Strange how we have been discussing it. Lol