Words we used

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Words we used

Post by brian f »

bobnetau wrote:I always said " gies a punt up" Meg,
I'm pretty sure that was the word i used, but had to think about it , the Cells have gone :oops: how you mature members remember everything i'll never know !
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

MammyDaddy ... :think: Used to express fear or foreboding
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Reminiscing today, somewhere doon the back o' my heid I found the word STOOKEY which we used as a word for a plaster cast. E.G. he broke his leg and the doactur pit a big Stookey oan it.

Wee Boney
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Yeah I love that word John and I still use it.
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Ha ha, made me laugh. 12 weeks ago I broke my metatarsal bone on the right foot. The doc was thinking Plaster cast or Air boot? I was really pleased when he decided on the air boot and I said thank goodness as I did not want to have a "STOOKEY" put on. needless to say the next few minutes were me telling him what a stookey was!! Now waiting for confirmation if I will need a bone graft and pin inserted! At least I can still hold a wine glass lol x
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

The very first television personality was Stookey Bill.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

sally40bags wrote:Ha ha, made me laugh. 12 weeks ago I broke my metatarsal bone on the right foot. The doc was thinking Plaster cast or Air boot? I was really pleased when he decided on the air boot and I said thank goodness as I did not want to have a "STOOKEY" put on. needless to say the next few minutes were me telling him what a stookey was!! Now waiting for confirmation if I will need a bone graft and pin inserted! At least I can still hold a wine glass lol x
Good luck Sally, shattered my ankle some years ago, doc recommended a pin and plate, it was that bad..told me I'd need a cast on at least a year...wish I'd gone for the stookey.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I've given a few entry stamps over the years on the stookies of kids with broken legs and arms as they returning to Oz at the airport. Their eyes light up ... a trophy to show their mates. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

That was quite a popular thing to do when I was a youngster. If any of your mates had a stookie on an arm or leg, it was almost obligatory that you had to put your 'signature' on it.

Also in regard to 'stookie' or 'stookied', I seem to remember it being used on some occasions to describe a very powerful blow - which more often than not would render an opponent unconscious. And as a stookie was brick hard, I can understand how that usage might have came about.

Another word I remember was 'Lamp' or 'Lampted' which had a similar type of meaning. It wasn't unheard of for instance, to hear the phrase ... "Shut yer mooth right noo or yer gettin' Lampted"
That probably meant ... 'Putting someones lights out' ... or in effect, putting them to sleep. That's just my own take on it though. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Michael,

The Scottish National Dictionary gives it as a straightforward "LAMPED", meaning to strike, and provides the example, "He lamped him wan'."

There is also "MALKIE", which is to strike someone with a weapon. I'm not sure if that was a popularly used in the 'threetowns' or if I picked it up in Glasgow.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

One which always made me laugh was to banjo (punch) somebody .

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Penny Tray wrote:Michael,
The Scottish National Dictionary gives it as a straightforward "LAMPED", meaning to strike, and provides the example, "He lamped him wan'."
PT. I'd heard that word being used as a youngster, but wondered recently about it's origins. Hence my assumption that it might have something to do with putting someones lights out. :)