City of Adelaide 1864

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

City of Adelaide 1864

Post by margb »

For those that are following this Clipper ship formerly known as the Carrick, there is an update of sorts in this month's Australian edition of The Scottish Banner.
Mr Len Murray who was present at the handover in Irvine took time out of his other duties here in Australia to visit the clipper ship. He was delighted by the amount of work that has been done inside the ship.
The ship is planned to be the centrepiece of a seaport village offering the perfect interactive environment for visitors to learn about Australian maritime and colonial history (Scottish Banner page 7 Aug 2017).
Tours are conducted daily at 10.00, 1200 and 2.00pm.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: City of Adelaide 1864

Post by aland »

good to see some restoration happening
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Margaret. Sounds like a good reason to go for a wee drive to Adelaide - been a few years since we've been to the city of churches. :)
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Your welcome Hughie. I rarely buy the Scottish Banner but it fell in my pathway yesterday.
I was thinking the other day that no-one had updated us on the ship and when I saw the article with the ship in the background it got me intrigued. Anyway maybe someone from Adelaide could visit before you go and have a look.
For those at home the Scottish Banner is the biggest Scottish paper that is published outside Scotland.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hughie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 pm Thanks, Margaret. Sounds like a good reason to go for a wee drive to Adelaide - been a few years since we've been to the city of churches. :)
Forgot we are booked on a short six day cruise in January into Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and Port Lincoln. So might wait till then. Though I wouldn't mind a wee drive to South Australia in the meantime.

Netta, this might interest you and Bobby.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Enjoy your cruise Hughie🚢
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Here's a video of the Carrick leaving Irvine.

Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Brilliant Bonzo and there is also a film of loads of school children who had walked from the Stevenston side to see her off. I guess if she had finished up in Portsmouth she would still be there restored.